The plastics that are thrown into the ocean are not biodegradable and instead break down into small plastics called microplastics. A microplastic can be seen with the naked eye but there are some that are so broken down that you cannot detect it anymore. These small plastics are already making their way into guts of the fishes that you eat. They are entering the food chain, and finally our bodies. We can actually ingest the microplastics that are ingested by the fish that we eat.
An estimate of one kilogram of salt can contain over 600 microplastics so if you think about it, if you have a daily intake of 5 grams of salt, then you could consume three microplastics a day and this is concerning.
Stop using plastic! It’s time to turn to biodegradable alternatives.